Sunday, May 22, 2011

Mini muffins for the freezer...

I am not handling the freezer cooking like most people do. Since I am new to it, I am testing recipes and making just a few things at a time, instead of a whole month in a day, so that I don't get overwhelmed.

Banana Bread is a big fave in our house. I have a recipe from my old, tattered Better Homes & Garden cookbook. You know the one, red and white checkered, like the one mom used to have. Yep, that one. With a family of 6 we can easily eat 2 bunches of bananas in a matter of days. So, I usually buy at least 2 lg bunches at a time. Sometimes though, we don't get through them all, which is okay because then I can bake! ;)

So the other day I thought I'd make a loaf of Banana Bread for the freezer. Then I rememberd my Christmas present from Seth (my 11 yr old).

A Baby Cakes Mini Cupcake maker! And it's PINK too!! Mini Banana Muffins?! Um, LOVELY!!! I threw them all in a galloz freezer bag and we can pull out as many as we need. And, they only take a few seconds in the microwave to defrost. Yum-O!  Now, it does take more effort to make them this way.  There's eight little cups inside the cupcake maker so you only make 8 at a time and it takes about 6 minutes per batch.  But, I promise you it's worth the effort!  :) 
Here's the Banana Bread recipe I use (with a little tweaking):

1/3 cup shortening
1/2 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 3/4 cup sifted all purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup mashed ripe bananas
1/2 cup chopped walnuts

* I usually use two to three lg bananas AND I add some vanilla and nutmeg.  I don't measure but if I had to guess I'd say about 2 tsp vanilla and 1/2 tsp nutmeg. 

Cream together shortening and sugar; add eggs and beat well; stir in vanilla.  Sift together dry ingredients; add to creamed mixture alternately with banana, blending well after each addition.  Stir in nuts.  Pour into well-greased 9x593-inch loaf pan.  Bake in moderate oven (350 degrees) 45 to 50 minutes or till done.  Remove from pan; cool on rack.  Wrap and store overnight.

I have also baked this recipe in a bundt pan and that also works well.  But, for now, the minis from the Baby Cakes are my fave. 

The Baby Cakes comes with a few recipes and you can even make little pie shells in it.  I am eager to try Mini Quiches!!  How fun!  Do you have one?  What have you baked with yours?

Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave a little love!